Monday, July 4, 2011

That’s Not How It’s Usually Done . . .

It’s been a while ‘cause I’m kinda busy! Not complaining, just saying. . .

I started working as a dietitian for an international facilities management company in Feb. My first assignment for the new job was in Augusta, and while there I fractured my ankle. That slowed me down quite a bit. Currently transitioning out of a boot, and will start six weeks of physical therapy this week.

In May I landed a permanent position as a dietitian in Decatur.  I commute about an hour, but I’m home and not out of town during the week.  I would have continued to travel if I had to, but am very grateful that I don’t, so the commute is a blessing.

Since I am working a traditional job during the workweek I don’t have the time to develop the practice, and finally found someone to assist me with branding the practice and building the website.  That has been an adventure.  I tried three web designers before I found the current one.  Since I’m a start-up I thought I’d give other start-ups a boost, and save some money, too.  I got impatient and developed my own logo, but his is much better! Well, the old saying “you get what you pay for,” is an old saying for a reason!   I can’t wait to unveil his creation for AG Thompson Law, LLC.  Wait, I will though.  My impatience continues to get me into trouble.

And my virtual law practice launch date is going to have to wait longer than I planned because life just gets in the way.  In the last three months, we’ve had a second car, our air conditioner, and our water heater breakdown. AND the roof is leaking again. Since I’m funding the practice out of personal funds, those funds must be diverted to take care of these household “emergencies,” so the practice has to wait, again.

These emergencies bring home the importance (and the blessing) of having the traditional job while I build the practice.  If I was single I would tough it out, but I’m not, so I can’t. Not complaining  . . .it is what it is.

Working a traditional job while trying to build a law practice is not how it’s usually done, but I’ve encountered several lawyers who are doing the same. It’s a matter of economics  .  . .kids, mortgage, school loans, etc. . . I don’t have the luxury of waiting the requisite five years to build a practice that can sustain a lifestyle, no matter how modest.  So, I’ll do what I can, and stay motivated as I watch my classmates build their practices. . . Miechia L. Gulley, Esq-Gulley Law Group, LLC, specifically is moving full-steam ahead.  She and I, though we practice in different areas, are collaborating to provide free legal clinics.  Our first is July 9, 2011 at Piedmont Library in Winder, GA.  It’s the first of many.

I can’t do what I want, but I’ll do what I can.  It’s not how it’s usually done, but I’ve never been one to do that anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment