Saturday, September 17, 2011

If I’m Gonna be a Sandwich, I Wanna be a California Chicken Salad Sandwich!

Some time ago, during a discussion about caring for my parents I heard the term “sandwich generation,” used to describe those of us caring for aging parents and dependent children. California Chicken Salad is my favorite sandwich, with grapes, pecans, chunk white meat chicken, mayo, thyme, and other savory spices. Mmmmm. So, if I’m going to be a sandwich, a California Chicken Salad Sandwich is what I want to be.
Lean, savory, a little fruity, a little nutty, and very filling- to sustain through the long haul! Lean, to have the energy to run between the generations, and meet the demands of children who expect you to be there, because you always have, and parents who expect you to be there because you always were. Savory, which also means pleasant and edifying, to remind myself that although I am an adult, and have been for quite a while, I’m biblically mandated to “honor my parents,” even when the aging process changes who they are, and who you remember them to be. Illness can do terrible things to the mind.
The fruity and nutty part gives me the ability to see the humor in any situation, and when I say ANY, I mean ANY situation. Of course, most of those things are meant to remain among family, but I’m sure many of you know what I mean. If I don’t laugh I will cry, and I don’t have time to cry. So, I fill myself with chicken and the love of God, and keep moving. I’m not in denial, I’m not stuffing it, or eating away my pain. (I’m overweight because I like food, I don’t exercise enough, and I’m approaching 50!) 
This is hard, and I knew that going into it, but it is what it is, and I am who I am. I couldn’t sleep at night if I didn’t do all I knew I could to remedy a bad situation. It’s how God made me, and my father raised me. It’s like this for many of us in the 21st century, people are living longer, and we waited later to have children so everything is reaching a peak at the same time!  Something has to give and it’s usually me, but to remedy that I’m doing it my way. And at almost 50, the California Chicken Salad Sandwich way is it! I’m not quite as lean, more savory, I hope, and a little fruitier and nuttier than I used to be, and therefore, filled with “gumption” and the courage to be as unorthodox as necessary to get the job done.
 My mission, as a lawyer mom, is taking shape. I have the time and energy now to focus since I’m pulled in only 5 directions, instead of 10! A.G. Thompson Law, LLC, “The Family Practice,” has a primary focus of the building and maintenance of the family, and the protection of children, through adoption, estate planning, and providing legal services as a Guardian Ad Litem.  My practice will be a family building practice. (I will participate in divorce actions only as a Guardian Ad Litem, to look out for the best interests of children. I don’t have the patience for the rest of it.) My official website launch is just weeks away!  (The one you see if you Google my firm name is not the official site.) It is truly a 21st century law firm, as it is primarily web-based for my convenience and those other “sandwiches” who don’t have time to visit a lawyer’s office.  And with that I CAN have it all as a mother, daughter, wife and lawyer, and will be an official card-carrying member of the Club “Sandwich.”

No comments:

Post a Comment