Friday, October 28, 2011

If 50 is the New 30, Then Why is My Bedtime 10pm?!

Last weekend was one of my sisters-in-law’s 50th birthday.  She and my MIL discussed that 50 is the new 30, 60 is the new 40, etc, when MIL said she didn’t look 50, (and she really doesn’t. It wasn’t a mother’s bias talking.) I can see that. Women, especially, are taking better care of themselves, and staying active for longer periods, eating healthier, and life expectancy is greater than it used to be a century ago.

But, that’s the outside, what about the inside? I’m just one year from 50, and I don’t feel 29. I get migraines when it rains, my knees hurt, my ankle is taking too long to heal, and forgetting why I entered a room is a daily thing, actually several times a day. My kids are taking advantage of my forgetfulness, and punishing them doesn’t work because I forget that I’ve grounded them!

And when I was 29 I could stay up until 4 am, get up at 6 am and still work a productive, full day. It seems with each half decade my bedtime moves back 2 hours. I’m now at 10p. We have a strict bedtime routine, not because it’s good for the kids, and they need to be rested for school, it’s for me! They have to be in bed by 9:30, so I can get in bed by 10. (9:30 may seem late for the 7 yo, but any earlier and he’s up at 4:30! At 9:30 he’ll sleep til 6.)

And it’s easier to gain weight. And harder to lose it. And I can’t find my waistline anymore. And I have bifocals. And . . . okay I need to stop whining, because I have gained patience, (although I have less tolerance for nonsense), compassion for others, more empathy, self-confidence, and hopefully more wisdom. Solomon is one of my biblical heroes because he longed for wisdom, and I have enough experience to value wisdom over beauty or money. And I’m wise enough to know that when I’m rested I’m less forgetful. So, in a few more years my bedtime will be 8p, and the kids will be putting me to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment